The defensive tackles on the high of the category did sufficient to remain there.
The 2023 NFL Combine opened its on-field drills on Thursday, beginning with the defensive linemen and linebacker teams. As is custom, one group started by operating the 40-yard sprint, then shifted into place drills, whereas one other group accomplished agility drills and measured jumps.
While the measurable numbers from the ability drills are slowly being launched, let’s take an in depth take a look at the inside defensive linemen who stood out.
Bryan Bresee, 4i/3T, Clemson, 6-foot-5 1/2, 298
40-yard sprint time/10-yard cut up: 4.86/1.71
Bresee checked the packing containers on measurement and pace, however he additionally confirmed properly within the athletic on-field drills. Bresee confirmed fast toes when transferring laterally, was capable of keep low and flatten when bending the nook in go rush drills, and was capable of stack his go rush strikes, all whereas staying beneath management and balanced.
Overall, he did sufficient to remain within the Round 1 dialog, which ought to have been the objective for the day.
Calijah Kancey, 3/5T, Pittsburgh, 6-foot-1, 281
The showstopper for Kancey was, in fact, his 40/10-yard splits. Coming out of Pittsburgh and checking in at 6-foot-1, 281 kilos, Kancey is of course getting the Aaron Donald comparability. And after his splits, these comparisons will certainly proceed.
Donald: 6-foot-0 3/4, 285, 4.69/1.63
Kancey: 6-foot-1, 281, 4.67/1.64
The massive distinction is arm size (Donald 32 5/8 vs Kancey 30 5/8) and we should see what number of reps Kancey can do on the bench press—Donald did 35 reps.
Kancey additionally didn’t do any on-field drills, which might have actually helped him solidify his inventory.
- Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin (6-foot-4, 309) acquired higher with each drill and by the tip of the Combine, he had showcased his stability, energy, and skill to alter route at high pace.
- Jerrod Clark, Coastal Carolina (6-foot-4, 334) was considerably extra fluid than I anticipated him to be, and his means to take care of physique management at 334 kilos was very spectacular.
- Zacch Pickens, South Carolina (6-foot-4, 291) appeared very easy in his lateral drills and his size confirmed up in go dashing drills.
- Jaquelin Roy, LSU (6-foot-3, 305) confirmed easy toes when chopping in small areas, and managed to get his physique up and down simply, however he struggled in house.
- Gervon Dexter, Florida (6-foot-5 1/2, 310) had a Combien reflective of his profession at Florida, flashes of interesting traits adopted however tough patches that left you wanting extra.