2023 MEN’S PAC-12 SWIMMING & DIVING CHAMPIONSHIPS
DAY 4 PRELIMS HEAT SHEETS
TEAM SCORES THRU DAY 3
- ASU – 637.5
- Cal – 534
- Stanford – 441.5
- Arizona – 245
- Utah – 239.5
- USC – 233.5
It’s the ultimate day of the 2023 Men’s PAC-12 Swimming & Diving Championships. In this final prelims session, heats of the 200 backstroke, 100 freestyle, 200 breaststroke, and 200 butterfly will race. In finals, these occasions will probably be joined by the quickest warmth of the 1650 freestyle and the 400 freestyle relay.
The remaining day of a championship meet is usually Cal’s finest day, however after barely making up any floor towards ASU on Day 3, they’re preventing an uphill battle to defend their 5 yr convention title streak. In the primary occasion of the session, they’ll want their 200 backstroke group to be as robust as ever and put themselves ready to choose up huge factors. Defending champ Destin Lasco is the highest seed there in 1:38.23. Keep an eye fixed on ASU’s Jack Wadsworth, the #4 seed (1:40.90). After the enhancements he’s made in his different occasions at this meet, he could possibly be poised for an additional huge drop right here.
The 100 freestyle sees Bjorn Seeliger as the highest seed and the one man within the area with a seed time sub-42 (41.68). It won’t occur till finals, however Andrei Minakov, Max McCusker, Grant House, and 50 free champion Jack Dolan goal to affix him underneath that barrier.
All eyes will probably be on Leon Marchand within the 200 breaststroke. Marchand has caught to his typical championship occasion lineup right here and the clear favourite to defend his title. Marchand–whose finest is 1:48.20–gained the occasion final yr in 1:50.39 and after the meet he’s had thus far, we will count on him to be quicker than that: the query is by how a lot.
The remaining occasion of the session is the 200 fly, which is the one occasion the place the 2022 winner isn’t racing this yr. In his stead, final yr’s second via fifth place finishers Alex Colson, Dare Rose, Gabriel Jett, and Andrew Gray look to set themselves as much as declare the title later this night.
200 Backstroke — PRELIMS
- NCAA Record: 1:35.73, Ryan Murphy (Cal) – 2016 NCAA Championships
- PAC-12 Record: 1:35.73, Ryan Murphy (Cal) – 2016 NCAA Championships
- PAC-12 Championship Record: 1:37.87, Daniel Carr (Cal) — 2020 PAC-12 Championships
- 2022 Champion: Destin Lasco, Cal — 1:38.81
- NCAA ‘A’ Cut: 1:39.13
- 2022 NCAA Invite Time: 1:40.92
Top 8 Qualifiers:
- Destin Lasco (CAL) – 1:38.66
- Hugo Gonzalez (CAL) – 1:38.84
- Owen McDonald (ASU) – 1:39.62
- Aaron Sequeira (STAN) – 1:40.16
- Sebastian Somerset (CAL) – 1:40.44
- Leon MacAlister (STAN) – 1:40.60
- Hubert Kos (ASU) – 1:40.63
- Josh Zuchowski (STAN) – 1:40.81
In the ultimate warmth, defending champion Destin Lasco cruised to the highest time of the morning in 1:38.66. It’s a brand new season finest for the junior, shifting him as much as second within the NCAA behind solely Brendan Burns. Cal certified three swimmers into the ‘A’ remaining, with Hugo Gonzalez and Sebastian Somerset becoming a member of Lasco.
1:38.84 is a brand new lifetime finest for Gonzalez, his second finest time of the meet. It’s his first finest time within the occasion since 2017, when he swam 1:39.05 on the Georgia Invitational whereas competing for Auburn.
Joining Cal by getting three males into the ‘A’ remaining was Stanford. Aaron Sequeira led the best way for the Cardinal by qualifying fourth in a lifetime finest 1:40.16. The sophomore has been having a powerful meet thus far, with two private bests and a podium end of day 3 of the meet. Senior Leon MacAlister and freshman Josh Zuchowski certified sixth and eighth. Zuchowski’s 1:40.81 is a private finest for him by .39 seconds, giving him a finest time in his third occasion of the meet.
Owen McDonald adopted up his 100 again second place end by qualifying for the ultimate in third. He blasted a 1:39.62, besting his finest time from the NC State Invite by 1.66 seconds. His teammate Hubert Kos moved via in seventh with a brand new private finest as properly.
100 Freestyle — PRELIMS
- NCAA Record: 39.90, Caeleb Dressel (Florida) – 2018 NCAA Championships
- PAC-12 Record: 40.75, Bjorn Seeliger (Cal) — 2022 NCAA Championships
PAC-12 Championship Record: 41.38, Vlad Morozov (USC) — 2013 PAC-12 Championships
- 2022 Champion: Bjorn Seeliger (Cal) — 41.51
- NCAA ‘A’ Cut: 41.64
- 2022 NCAA Invite Time: 42.34
Top 8 Qualifiers:
- Bjorn Seeliger (CAL) – 41.30 (Meet Record)
- Jack Alexy (CAL) – 41.80
- Jack Dolan (ASU) – 41.84
- Matthew Jensen (CAL) – 42.01
- Andrei Minakov (STAN) – 42.03
- Grant House (ASU) – 42.21
- Jonny Kulow (ASU) – 42.25
- Patrick Sammon (ASU) – 42.32
Dylan Hawk (CAL) – 42.40
Note: Heat 3 of the 100 freestyle was reswum, shifting Grant House into the ‘A’ remaining in 42.21. That bumps Cal’s Dylan Hawk to ninth and the ‘B’ remaining. At the opposite finish, Stanford sophomore Avery Voss was bumped out of the scoring finals and into the ‘C’.
Bjorn Seeliger wasted no time this morning, blazing a 41.30 to erase Vlad Morozov‘s meet file which had stood since 2013. The junior opened in 19.25, bringing it house in 22.05. The time strikes Seeliger forward of Youssef Ramadan for third within the NCAA this season, trailing solely Jordan Crooks and Josh Liendo.
His teammate Jack Alexy was simply off his lifetime finest with a 41.80 to qualify for the ultimate in second and transfer him as much as tenth within the league this season. Coming into the meet, Seeliger was the one swimmer seeded underneath 42, however each Alexy and Jack Dolan joined him underneath that mark. This swim Dolan’s first underneath the barrier, he minimize .69 seconds off his better of 42.53 from midseason.
Cal put 4 swimmers into the championship warmth, with Matthew Jensen and Dylan Hawk becoming a member of Seeliger and Alexy. ASU has three, with Dolan, Jonny Kulow, and Patrick Sammon. Kulow took a half-second off the perfect time he posted at ASU’s February twin with Arizona. Jensen posted an enormous private better of 42.01 to simply miss becoming a member of the highest three qualifiers sub-42. He’ll get one other crack at that mark tonight; coming into the meet, his private finest was 42.39 from 2022 PAC-12s.
Last yr, Andrei Minakov had a little bit of a misfire in prelims and missed qualifying for the ‘A’ remaining. He didn’t make that mistake once more, and moved via in a season better of 42.03.
200 Breaststroke — PRELIMS
- NCAA Record: 1:47.91, Will Licon (Texas) – 2017 NCAA Championships
- PAC-12 Record: 1:48.20, Leon Marchand (Arizona State) — 2022 NCAA Championships
- PAC-12 Championship Record: 1:48.86, Reece Whitley (Cal) — 2019 PAC-12 Championships
- 2022 Champion: Leon Marchand (Arizona State) — 1:50.39
- NCAA ‘A’ Cut: 1:51.54
- 2022 NCAA Invite Time: 1:53.23
Top 8 Qualifiers:
- Jason Louser (CAL) – 1:50.99
- Leon Marchand (ASU) – 1:52.34
- Reece Whitley (CAL) – 1:52.54
- David Schlicht (ASU) – 1:52.92
- Chris O’Grady (USC) – 1:53.72
- Ron Polonsky (STAN) – 1:54.43
- Jacob Soderlund (CAL) – 1:54.45
- Ben Dillard (USC) – 1:54.52
In a replay of the 400 IM prelims on day 3, Cal’s Jason Louser took the highest seed within the 200 breaststroke forward of Leon Marchand. Louser’s time of 1:50.99 is a private finest by nearly a second, and cuts a whopping ten seconds from his seed time which was a 2:01.10. For his half, Marchand was in cruise mode, including 3.5 seconds from his season finest to qualify comfortably in second. As we’ve seen all through the meet, he’s saving his finest for the ultimate.
Four-time 100 breast champion Reece Whitley additionally added from his season finest, clocking 1:52.54 to seize the third seed for the ultimate. In addition to Louser and Whitley, Cal additionally had Jacob Soderlund qualify for the ‘A’ remaining. Soderlund’s 1:54.45 is a big swim for the sophomore, as his earlier finest was a 1:56.04 from 2022 PAC-12s.
USC had what was simply their finest occasion of the meet thus far, placing each Chris O’Grady and Ben Dillard into the top-8.
200 Butterfly — PRELIMS
- NCAA Record: 1:37.35, Jack Conger (Texas) – 2017 NCAA Championships
- PAC-12 Record: 1:38.53, Trenton Julian (Cal) — 2021 PAC-12 Championships
- PAC-12 Championship Record: 1:38.53, Trenton Julian (Cal) — 2021 PAC-12 Championships
- 2022 Champion: Trenton Julian (Cal) — 1:39.95
- NCAA ‘A’ Cut: 1:40.20
- 2022 NCAA Invite Time: 1:42.42
Top 8 Qualifiers:
- Gabriel Jett (CAL) – 1:40.46
- Dare Rose (CAL) – 1:41.82
- Alex Colson (ASU) – 1:42.43
- Haakon Naughton (ARIZ) – 1:43.11
- Andrew Gray (ASU) – 1:43.15
- Jonny Affeld (STAN) – 1:43.26
- Ethan Hu (STAN) – 1:43.58
- Harry Homans (USC) – 1:43.94
Gabriel Jett and Dare Rose claimed the highest two seeds within the 200 fly for the Golden Bears. In the ultimate warmth, Jett cruised to the warmth win by practically three seconds, clocking 1:40.46 to Andrew Gray‘s 1:43.15. After profitable the five hundred free on day 2, it appeared like Jett had a little bit of a misfire within the 200 free to complete eighth, however appeared again on kind right here. His 1:40.46 strikes him as much as fifth within the NCAA forward of Alex Colson. For his half, Colson appeared managed this morning, including 1.65 seconds to maneuver via safely in third.
Like Cal, each ASU and Stanford put two swimmers into the ‘A’ remaining. Stanford will probably be represented by juniors Jonny Affeld (1:43.26) and Ethan Hu (1:43.58) who certified in sixth and seventh. Both have been quicker of their careers, however shaved day off of their season bests.
Arizona freshman Haakon Naughton certified for the ultimate in fourth out of the non circle-seeded heats. Naughton posted 1:43.11, which is a private finest by four-tenths.